Warm up to Winter Ski Incentives
SPONSORED BY DESTINATION CANADA
There’s no need to look beyond Canada’s borders when some of the world’s most sought-after winter incentive destinations are right here in our own backyard. Reimagine your corporate incentive program by rewarding your peak performers at some of Canada’s favourite mountain ski resorts.
WHISTLER, BRITISH COLUMBIA
“No one does winter incentives and meetings quite like Whistler,” says Jennifer Attersall, director of sales with Destination Canada Business Events. Slope-side fun, spa retreats and arts and culture experiences are just some of the endless ways you can wow your top performers on an incentive getaway to Whistler. North America’s largest ski resort, Whistler Blackcomb is a natural reward for high-producing teams.
A scenic, two-hour drive from Vancouver International Airport delivers your top performers to incentive- quality hotels, like the Four Seasons Whistler, The Westin Resort & Spa Whistler and the ski-in, ski-out luxury of the Fairmont Chateau Whistler, which recently topped the list of Canada’s best resorts in Condé Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Awards.
If skiing and boarding isn’t at the top of your team’s to-do list, beyond the slopes there are a host of ways to make your peak performers feel like royalty:
• Adventure: Sled the snow-filled trails surrounding Whistler, fly above the snow-covered trees by zipline, snowshoe silent forest trails, give ice fishing a try or mush a dog team on a guided tour.
• Indulge in Après: A time-honoured Whistler tradition, you don’t have to be a skier to enjoy fondue, champagne sabering and more.
• Say “Spahhh”: Connect mind, body and spirit with traditional therapies to soothe modern day tensions at Scandinave Spa, a silent oasis of calm tucked into a forest on the edge of Whistler.
• Indulge in the Arts: Explore Whistler’s arts and culture at the Audain Art Museum or explore Indigenous traditions and culture at the Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre.
• Culinary & Wine: Dine around Whistler—top- notch restaurants are just steps away from Whistler’s hotels, creating a delicious foodie scene throughout the pedestrian-only village.
BANFF & LAKE LOUISE, ALBERTA
Commemorate your team’s performance in a quintessential Canadian postcard at Banff and Lake Louise. Attersall notes that either location, with their picturesque settings, historic and luxury hotels, dynamic culinary scene and world-class skiing are “the ultimate incentive reward.”
When guidelines are followed, small groups can meet here safely this winter to ski the Big 3: Lake Louise, Mt. Norquay and Banff Sunshine. At legendary Lake Louise, there are four mountains and over 1,600 hectares of terrain and plenty of powder. The new Lake Louise Ski Resort Summit Chair brings skiers to the peak of Whitehorn Mountain in just four minutes, where exhilarating runs await. On the new West Bowl, intermediate to expert skiers can follow endless routes and fall lines through powder bowls and glades. At Mt. Norquay, an upgraded snowmaking system generates 30 percent more powder, while Banff Sunshine, the third in the Big 3, features more than 1,300 hectares of skiable terrain, ranging from gentle beginner all the way up to extreme big mountain runs.
Beyond the natural beauty and world-class skiing, Banff and Lake Louise provide ample winter adventure just a two-hour scenic transfer from Calgary, including:
• Team Spirit: Build corporate culture in the most Canadian of ways: play a friendly game of hockey on a frozen lake.
• Adventure: Explore a glistening canyon on the Johnston Canyon Ice Walk, snowshoe fresh powder on a guided snowshoe safari and spot wildlife in their natural habitat.
• Say “Spahhh”: Indulge in some well-earned self-care at one of the many spas or wellness providers found throughout Banff and Lake Louise.
• Fondue Heaven: There’s no better place to sample fondue than surrounded by mountains—just one of the indulgent culinary experiences you can have here.
MONT TREMBLANT RESORT, QUÉBEC
Mont Tremblant Resort, with its charming pedestrian village, picturesque mountain vistas, vibrant ski scene and secluded luxury accommodations, is just a one-hour flight from Toronto, or 90-minute drive from Montréal.
A top draw for ski incentives, at Mont Tremblant, top performing teams can ski in and ski out of four distinct mountain zones, 96 runs and a
12 hectare snowpark. Before, after or in-between runs, there are plenty of other ways to enjoy Mont Tremblant Resort beyond the slopes:
• Adventure: Mush like a local through forest, mountain or valley trails on a guided dog-sledding tour, get chill on the ice-climbing wall, explore by cross-country ski, fatbike or snowshoe.
• Team Spirit: Lace up your skates for a spin around Lac Tremblant’s glassy surface or play a game of pick-up hockey.
• Say “Spahhh”: Find pure relaxation in nature with relaxing treatments at Slope Side or Scandinave Spas.
• Mountain Entertainment: Test your luck at the Casino de Mont-Tremblant.
HELI-SKIING CANADA’S BACKCOUNTRY MOUNTAINS
Canada is one of the best places on the planet to heli-ski. Unique, high-apline backcountry lodges are scattered throughout Western Canada and are ideal for corporate groups seeking an exclusive team experience. Start your days at sunrise, and wrap up when your group has had their fill of champagne powder so light it feels like skiing on air. Operators such as Mike Wiegele Heli-Skiing Resort and CMH Heli- Skiing can help you coordinate the ultimate ski incentive your team will remember for years to come.
Destination Canada's Business Events team is your resource for exceptional experiences across Canada.
businesseventscanada.ca | #MeetInCanada
Jennifer Attersall, Director, Incentive Travel
This content is sponsored by Destination Canada Business Events.
other articles in this section
The Renaissance of Incentive Travel
Promotional products your attendees will love. Really.
Editor's Choice: 6 Springtime Gifts
Warm up to Winter Ski Incentives
Expert Tips for Virtual Incentive Events
Presents of Mind: The Art of Virtual Gifting
Noteworthy: Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, Bermuda
Healthy Options for Incentive Trips
Celebrating Employee Milestones
Healthy employees = Healthy company
Hawks Cay Resort, Duck Key, Florida
How to Design an Effective Gift Card Incentive Program
Fogo Island Inn, Fogo Island, Newfoundland
The Case for including Spouses on Incentive Trips
Rim to River Hiking in the Grand Canyon
Sparkling Hill Resort, Vernon, BC
Creating incentive trips that appeal to everyone
The Brave New World of Gift Cards
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Incentive trips go family-style
Knock-their-socks-off gifts for hard-to-buy-for executives
Customized Recognition Programs
Virtual gift cards, the new reality
Go with a Pro, in the Spa and on the Greens
Canadian tax implications for employee gifts
A Christmas Bonus with all the Fixin's!
Recognizing Environmental Actions in the Workplace
Reward and Recognize Every Day!
Double Pampering Hits the Spot!
Hidden Gems: Cobble Beach Resort
Incentive Programs Used by the Pros
Think Local for Corporate Gifts
Time for an Incentive Travel Update
Reward Best-Practices for the Holiday Season
The Pros and Cons of Gift Cards
Eco-Friendly Corporate Gift Ideas
Speaker Gifts that Shine with Gratitude